Wednesday 10 November 2010

Experiment one: 0.9.11.10

I experimented with Various focal length lenses that i borrowed from the science department within the school that i work out in order to explore the Schilren technique.

I Placed a lens on a stand and worked out the focal length of the lens/mirror, which i worked out to be 10cm. The focal length is used to predicted the place at which the light source should be situated, which is 2x the focal length.

The lens i used had a 10cm focal length so the distance at which i placed my light source and filter were 20cm's away from the lens.

I could only get hold of a torch for the light source which i feel was one of the failings of this experiment, after researching further the light needed was a strong LED light with a wattage of around 3.

I printed out various size repeat spectrum pattern filters on to acetate using a laser jet, which i feel also contributed to my failings of this experiment the print was not fine enough and maybe a little dark.

For the heat source in my experiment i used a lighter as the heat that it emitted would have been very hot and hopefully allow this experiment to work.






Results:

I tried variuos mirror and lens types, different size filters and focal lengths and my results were very disappointing. My thoughts are that the light source i used was not direct and strong enough and also the filters seemed to be too dense. I am going to research further and hope the next experiment tomorrow will be more successful with more heads and resources to perfect this effect.



Printed Filter on acetate

Lens / mirror on stand

No comments:

Post a Comment